Indian Chana Masala
Chana masala, also known as channay, chole masala, chole or chholay, is a dish originating from the Indian subcontinent. The main ingredient is a variety of chickpea called chana or kala chana. They are twice the diameter of typical chickpeas with a stronger flavour and firmer texture even after being cooked
This is a main course cuisine. This recipe is a contribution from our affiliate Ms. Seema Shastri.
firstly, in a cooker heat oil / butter. using more oil makes dhaba style chole masala.
- saute bay leaf, cinnamon stick and cumin seeds till they turn aromatic.
- also add finely chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste. saute till it turns golden brown.
- add tomatoes and saute till they start releasing oil
- further, add chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, amchur powder, garam masala and salt. saute for a minute.
- then add soaked chickpea / canned chickpeas. make sure to soak chickpea overnight if its not canned chickpeas.
- further add 2 cups of water. add more water if you like it to be more gravy.
- give a good mix. and check the seasonings. make sure the masala water to be slightly salty as chole will absorb while cooking.
- pressure cook for 7-8 whistles on medium flame.
- allow the pressure to release by itself before opening the cooker.
- squeeze lemon and mix well. garnish with coriander leaves.
- finally, serve hot with poori / chapati / bhatura/ naan