This nutritious vegetable has a high water content. It is also known as calabash, long melon, lauki, ghiya, dudhi, laau (in Hindi).
- It is used to make curries like Dal Lauki (a dish prepared with chana or toor dal), aloo lauki, lauki ke kofte etc.
- Lauki Halwa is also a popular sweet preparation.
- It is used in international cuisines to prepare soups, stews,
- Bottle Gourd is a good source of vitamin C, potassium, calcium, phosphorous etc.
- It is light and easy to digest.
Tip: Taste a small piece of the raw Bottle Gourd before cooking it. If it is unusually bitter, it should not be used.
Read more about Lauki or Calabash here.