Cashews are a popular culinary ingredient used in most kitchens across the globe. The Cashew tree is a tropical evergreen tree grown extensively in India, Nigeria, Brazil etc. The Hindi name of this nut is ‘Kaju’.
- Cashew paste or fine powder, prepared in an instant by grinding it with a mortar and pestle, is a wonderful ingredient added to certain Indian curries like malai kofta and shahi paneer. It gives them a rich, creamy texture and a deliciously nutty flavour.
- It can be added to soups and salads, cakes, muffins and biscuits.
- Many Indian desserts like kheer and gajar ka halwa (Carrot Halwa) require the addition of cashews.
- Cashew burfi or Kaju burfi as it is called in India is another wonderful sweet delicacy generously prepared with cashews.
- They are a popular snack food and can be eaten as is or roasted and salted.
Cashews contain sizeable amounts of mono-unsaturated fats. They are a source of antioxidants, and minerals like copper, magnesium and phosphorous.
Read more about cashew nuts here.