Poppy seeds have several culinary uses and can be ground to paste or used whole, as a spice or a thickener or to garnish. The seeds are a rich source of fibre and have vitamin B and folic acid. They help increase body resistance.
Posto Bada recipe
This is a delicious Bengali side dish that can be prepared quickly and goes well with the main meal of dal and sabji.
- 200g Posto (poppy seeds)
- 2 tsp besan or rice flour
- 1-2 green chillies
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Grind the poppy seeds (posto), green chillies and salt into a coarse paste by adding very little water. Alternatively, soak poppy seeds in hot water for 30 mins and grind along with salt and green chillies. The mix should not be too wet.
- Mix it with the besan or rice flour so that the mixture binds. Coconut (optional) can also be grated and added.
- Make small flattened balls and shallow fry from all sides in a pan. Once golden brown, place them on a kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot with rice and dal.
Read more about poppy seeds here.