Dahi Bara is a Punjabi chaat item that consists of round Baras or lentil dumplings that are deep-fried, soaked in curd and garnished with tamarind chutney and chopped coriander leaves. They go well with chana- poori and other chaat items. The Shan Dahi Bara Chaat Mix helps make this complicated dish easily and quickly.
Shan Recipe: Dahi Bara Chaat
- Dal Mash/Moong/ Urad/split Mung - 1 cup/200g soaked for 3-4 hours and the coarsely ground
- Maida - ½ cup/50g
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Meetha soda – 1tsp (Soda-bicarbonate)
- Oil/ghee - 3 cups/500g for deep-frying
- Yogurt - 2½ cups/500g
- Powdered sugar - 1tbsp
- Shan Dahi Bara Chaat - according to taste
1. In ground dal add maida, sugar, meetha soda and some water.
2. Mix to make a thick paste. Set aside for 15 minutes. In hot oil fry the lentil dumpling/Dahi Baras until light golden.
3. Remove from oil and set aside to cool. Re-fry the lentil dumplings/ Dahi Baras in hot until golden.
4. Remove from oil and set aside to cool. Soak the Dahi Baras in water for a while. Then press lightly to squeeze out the water from the lentil dumplings.
5. Dissolve the sugar in yogurt and pour it over the lentil dumplings/Dahi Baras.
Shan Mix Ingredients
Red Chilli, Paprika, Salt, Coriander, Black Pepper, Cinnamon, Bay Leaf, Cumin, Brown Cardamom, Clove, Long Black Pepper, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Cane Sugar, Canola Oil, Silicon Dioxide (anti-caking agent), Hydrolyzed Soy Protein.
No preservative. No artificial food colour.