Shan Nihari Mix makes a deliciously spicy, slow-cooked meat stew. Nihari Curry is a perfect blend of meat (mutton / beef / chicken) and traditional spices for special occasions or family dinners. You can enjoy it with naan and kulcha.
Shan Recipe: Nihari Curry
- Beef/Mutton/Chicken - 1kg, 4-6 large pieces
- Bones - 2kg, knuckle & marrow
- Ghee/Oil - 1 ½ cups/250g
- Maida/Wheat Flour - 1-1 ½ cups/100-150g – dissolved in 2 cups water
- Onion - 1 medium, finely sliced
- Garlic – ½ tsp
- Shan Nihari Curry Mix - One packet, mix in ½ cup water (use less for mild spice)
1. In a large pot heat one cup of ghee. Add garlic, stir and add meat, bones and Shan Nihari Curry Mix.
2. Fry for a few minutes and add 18 cups / 3 ½ litres of water. Cover and cook on very low heat until the meat is tender. (For beef 6-8 hours, mutton 4 hours, chicken – 3 hours).
3. Remove bones, collect marrow and discard bones. Add marrow to gravy.
4. Gradually add dissolved flour to the gravy. Stir to mix evenly with the gravy. Bring to boil and cook for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. Heat the remaining ½ cup of ghee and add the sliced onion. Stir fry until golden and pour into the Nihari. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat.
6. Garnish with sliced green chillies, fresh julienne ginger and lime. Serve hot with naans.
Tip: For meat, use shank cuts. For chicken, use drum sticks.
Shan Mix Ingredients
Red Chilli, Himalayan Pink Salt, Paprika, Nigella Seed, Garlic, Dehydrated Onion, Cumin, Bay Leaf, Aniseed, Green Cardamom, Black Pepper, Ginger, Clove, Fennel, Maltodextrin, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Cane Sugar, Canola Oil, Silicon Dioxide (anticaking agent).