This is a mix of various spices such as black cumin, cardamom, fenugreek, red chilli, coriander seeds etc. that come together to give a delicious flavour to the popular rice and meat-curry dish. Bombay Biryani is a spicy Basmati rice dish layered with potatoes, chicken or lamb.
Recipe: Chicken/ mutton Biryani
1. Wash and soak 500g Basmati rice in twice its volume of water for 20 minutes.
2. Marinate 500g meat/chicken pieces cut into cubes, in a mix of garlic -ginger paste, salt yogurt and lemon juice for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile chop 150g onions and 200g peeled potatoes fry them in 120ml cooking oil till onions are brown and potatoes cooked.
4. Add 200g chopped tomatoes and one pack of Bombay Biryani Masala, mix well till tomatoes are soft. Then add meat pieces.
5. Add 3 cups of water, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, till meat is tender and little curry remains, Add salt to taste.
6. Boil rice till half the water remains. In a large cook-n-serve pan, place rice in layers with meat mix in between, add remaining water and simmer till fully cooked serve with natural yogurt or raita.
MDH Mix Ingredients
Salt, Coriander, Dried plums, Red chilli, Fennel ,mango. cassia, musk melon, turmeric, cumin, cloves, cardamom Amomum seeds, Garlic, Black pepper, Green cardamom, Nutmeg, Mace