Ponni Boiled Rice comes from the state of Tamil Nadu in South India. Developed there, it has now become a favourite in other states of India as well. Ponni, meaning ‘Gold’, is an apt name for the yellow-golden grains. The boiled rice is prepared by steaming the grain before it is husked. As a result, the grain absorbs many of the nutrients from the husk.
- Heera’s Ponni Boiled rice can be used as regular rice with gravies. It absorbs the taste of curries well.
- Ponni Boiled rice can be used to make idli-dosa batter
- It is used to make rice dishes like masala rice, lemon rice, pudina rice
Cooking Instructions: You can choose from one of the following methods. For best results, wash and soak the rice for 20-30 minutes. For cooking, add 1 and a 1/2 times water to the quantity of rice.
- Closed pan: The mixture of water and rice should be boiled in a heavy bottom pan and then cooked for 10 minutes (covered and on low heat). Turn of the heat and leave it to stand, covered for 5 more minutes.
- Microwave: Cover the microwave bowl with cling film, pierce and cook at the temperature specified for your microwave model. If using a 650W microwave oven, cook on high for 6 minutes. To reheat in the microwave, set it on high for 3-4 minutes.