A vegetarian favourite, Idli is a South Indian steamed rice cake that is round, white and fluffy and served with sambar and chutney. Like Dosa, it is made from a fermented batter of rice and lentils.
MTR’s quick mix, lets you prepare the Idlis quickly and on demand, without the need for too much planning.
1. Mix 1 measure of mix, ½ measure of curd and 1 measure of water into a smooth batter. Alternatively, prepare batter with 1½ measures of water. Set aside for 5 minutes
2. Add finely cut green chillies, ginger and curry leaves to the batter for added flavour.
3. Steam the batter in an Idli cooker or vessel for 10-12 minutes. Or use a microwave oven for 3 minutes to steam the Idlis in a microwave safe vessel.
4. Remove the Idlis from the Idli plates and serve hot with peanut chutney.
Peanut Chutney Recipe
1. One small cup of peanuts (without skin)
2. 1 tbsp tamarind paste (or according to taste)
3. Salt, as required
4. Green chillies
5. 1 tbsp yoghurt
Grind all the ingredients together with a little water to make a thick paste. Serve with hot Idlis.
Read more about Idlis here.