TRS Whole Brown Lentils (Malika/Masoor) - 2kg
About the product:
Whole Brown lentils, also known as Masoor Dal / Sabut Masoor or Kaali Masoor, are one of the best vegetable sources of iron and also contain high levels of protein. When split in half they are in red from the inside.
- Whole brown lentils can be served with rice or Indian breads like roti, naan etc.
- It can also be served as a soup when some vegetables or meat/ chicken is added to it.
- It is used to make vegetable stew.
Storage: Store the dal in an airtight container, in a cool, dry place.
This Dal needs to be pressure cooked for approximately 15-20 minutes with salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. (If the dal is still hard, boil it further.)
There are two basic types of ´tadkas´ that can be added to a dal.
1. Heat ghee and add jeera (cumin seeds), a little garam masala and red chili powder. Add immediately to hot, cooked dal.
2. Or, heat ghee, add jeera (cumin seeds) and chopped onions and fry till golden brown. Add green chilies (optional), grated ginger and chopped tomatoes. Fry for 5 minutes and add spices – turmeric, garam masala, red chili powder (a little). Fry all this for 5 more minutes and then add it to the hot, cooked Dal and mix well.
The tadka can be varied by adding mustard seeds, curry leaves and heeng (asafetida) along with the other masalas. Adding a little sambhar masala also gives it a different flavor. The amount of masalas to be added varies from ¼ to ½ tsp depending on the quantity of Dal.
- Brown masoor is a good source of dietary fibre and protein.
- It is believed to be helpful in lowering the bad cholesterol.
- It is a good source of folate, potassium and iron.
Nutritional Value: Per 100g
Energy - 1264kJ/297kcal
Fat - 1.9g
of which saturates - 0g
Carbohydratess - 48g
of which sugarss - 4.5g
Fiber - 18g
Protein - 24g
Salt - 1g