Mutton Dum Biryani
Mutton Dum Biryani Recipe is a biryani recipe that is packed with flavours of the caramelized onions and the spices.
In this Briyani, the mutton is cooked and then layered with half cooked basmati rice, caramelized onions, saffron milk and fresh mint leaves. A must try recipe which can be served for weekend special dinners and parties.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 80 mins
Cuisine: Non Vegetarian
Servings: 4 Servings
- Basmati rice - 500 gms
- Mutton - 500 gms
- Oil - 1 cup
- Onion - 3 medium sized
- Ginger garlic paste - 4 tablespoon
- Salt as required
- Red chili powder - 3 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder - 2 teaspoon
- Coriander and mint leaves
- Tomatoes - 1
- Green chilies - 3-4
- Spices: cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaves, caraway seeds
- Yogurt - 100 gram
- Lemon - 1
- Fried onions - 2 onions
- Saffron milk - 1/2 cup
1. For marination: In a mixing bowl add mutton, turmeric powder, chili powder, salt, ginger garlic paste, coriander powder, garam masala powder, curd, lemon water . Rub these ingredients well into the mutton pieces and let it sit for 30mins - 1 hour.
2. Soak the basmati rice for 30 mins in water.
3. Heat a cooker and add spices, then add the onions and saute till they turn brown in color.
4. Add 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste and saute it, then add marinated mutton.
5. Cook for 2 mins and add tomatoes and saute for 5 mins.
6. Add 3-4 green chillies, coriander leaves and 1cup of water and pressure cook the mutton for 6-7 whistles.
7. Heat a pan. Add the whole Spices (Cinnamon, Cloves, Cardamom & Bay leaf),3 tbsp of ghee & 1 tbsp of salt, mint and coriander leaves.
9. Once the water is boiled, add the soaked rice and cook the rice till 80%.
10. Take a bowl and add cooked mutton then boiled rice.
11. Add ghee, saffron milk, fried onions, mint and coriander leaves on top of it and seal it with aluminum foil.
12. Keep it in Dum for 20-25 minutes on low flame.
13. Remove the lid carefully and the delicious mutton dum Biryani is ready to be served!